Too often we think of creating success in leadership and success in the home as separate skill sets. Leaders arrive at home with the intent of changing their mindset and somehow defining themselves differently with their wives and family. As if one’s personal life doesn’t mesh with all the talents needed to run a business or achieve a corporate vision. Yet success in leadership depends on integrating a skill set and style that can actually produce solid results in all areas of life. Here are five, vital leadership talents that provide business leaders with a seamless way to transform work and home.
- Construct a leadership vision. Before creating a corporate or team vision, decide on a personal one that guides you forward, keeps you accountable and drives your personal growth. Apply these to all the roles you play in life.
- Think integration – not balance. Balance means we try to somehow duplicate, in time and energy, all the roles we play out. Integration means we strive to be a whole person in all the roles we play out – with the same strengths and skills applied to each one.
- Know your defining strengths. Those that bring influence and change into work. Imagine living these out at home and work. Think strategically.
- Develop an authentic style. Your interpersonal style, built around true genuineness, moves mountains in all areas of life.
- Cultivate a mindful approach. Decide how to focus on the right things in each moment. Let those drive results.